Plenty of times, kitchen crafts and spells can seem daunting, complex, with the large number of ingredients to add to dishes and very specific measurements. But it doesn’t all need to be “one-quarter teaspoon” this, or “mince half a cup of” that. Kitchen witchery is the magic of herbs and spices in everyday meal prepping, cooking, and baking, and it can be as simple or as complex as your little green witch heart desires.
There are plenty of times while im prepping a big meal, or even making a light snack, that I’ll turn on some music. There’s a ritualistic feeling in playing my favourite tunes while making food. Music and singing are fantastic ways to substitute lengthy spells, and a fun way to embue charms of happiness into each bite you take. Your energy and intent is what makes a spell work, so choose songs that you enjoy, to ensure quality and love in your meals.
Whether you’re making coffee in the morning before heading off to work, or scrambling eggs at noon on your day off, there are plenty of inexpensive herbs and spices you could add to ensure an enchanting and enticing meal. Some of my favourites include:
- Basil: One of my personal favourites is basil, both for its earthy addition to my food, but also for its numerous magical properties: love, abundance, protection, purification, luck, and prosperity.
- Cinnamon*: A small sprinkle of cinnamon in your morning coffee or hot chocolate will spice up your day, bringing with it a little love, success, protection, money, and psychic awareness. *If you’re allergic to cinnamon, then nutmeg is a good alternative, boosting luck and healing properties.
- Lavender: Just a touch of lavender goes a long way. Gentle, soothing, beautiful, with the following properties: healing, happoness, sleep, peace, wisdom, and protection. Adding lavender to your tea or sweet treats is the perfect boost for a good night’s rest.
- Parsley: With just a sprig of parsley added to your dinner, you’ll be adding the following properties to your favourite pasta dish: healing, fertility, love, protection, and prosperity. It also doubles as an excellent hex breaker.
- Rosemary: If you’re in need of a memory boost, or some help with concentration, then rosemary is the perfect herbal addition. Other properties include cleansing, healing, and protection.
- Sage: Along with it’s use for purifying homes with its smoke, sage brings plenty of other benefits to your meals, such as healing and psychic awareness. Protection, inside and out.
- Thyme: The inexpensive magical hybrid of lavender and rosemary, thyme boasts properties of both herbs, such as purification, divination, healing, enhanced memory, and ease of sleep. Looks like its thyme to stock the spice rack!
As much as music and spices can breathe life into any spell or dish, cleansing your workspace is just as important. Take the time to wash whatever dishes and utensils you’ve used, perhaps with a sweetly-scented soap. Remember to wash down any counter space you’ve used, and store everything in its proper place.
Remember; kitchen witchery doesn’t have to be all work and no play. This is your area, and it’s your time to shine.